Until recently, only famous people were searched on the net or had to worry about it. Today this is no longer the case; it happens more and more often than ordinary and ordinary citizens are searched on the Web.
The reasons are many. For example, it is now common for many companies to check social networks and Google to search for information on candidates. There are also many who are looking for specific people on the net for the most diverse reasons.
Sometimes, simply to regain their contact, sometimes with less noble purposes. In our article, we will try to see how difficult it is to find out if someone is searching for us online and different ways to improve or change the public information they might find while searching online.
The image and reputation on the web of a person have become so important that for this reason companies have been created to check that it is good and to improve it.
First Step: Search for Your Name on Google
It seems a trivial thing but doing a search of our name on Google can give us a clear idea of what is the data on our person that is available on the net. Normally, when you search for your name on the net, you rarely find your person immediately unless you have a particularly original name and it will be very likely that you will find a large number of homonyms. So our search is over? No, it is better to add our profession or the place where we live to our name.
So, for example, you can search for “Name” + profession than “Marco Rossi” + doctor, or “Name” + place of residence. It is a good idea to put the person’s name in quotes so Google will know that this is vital information.
How to Improve Your Online Reputation
If you don’t like what you find or find unedifying information on the first page of Google results that could compromise your reputation or hiring in some company, the best course of action is:
clean up your social profiles from compromising material (it is not worth defaming yourself);
create social pages on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram with positive public content, which can undermine negative pages from the top places;
create a professional profile on LinkedIn with your updated resume;
finally, it is advisable to create a page with your name and surname on one of these free platforms: Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr. In which you can insert your CV and positive information about you.
Improve your reputation with Google Profile
Not everyone knows that, within the Google profile, there is an information section about us: this page is automatically filled in by Google but we can add information ourselves to enrich or modify it.
When people search for our name, Google will provide the information we have entered and will make the links to the relevant pages that we have indicated on Google Profile appear in the first positions.
So if you want to improve your reputation, in addition to following the advice above, it is worthwhile:
- go to the Google Profile page;
- log in with your Google account;
- go to the “Information” section and press the “Add more information about you” button and then “Add Link”;
- then add in this way one by one the social profiles, that of LinkedIn and to a possible blog in your name;
- after arranging the other information, choose to make the information available to anyone, through the appropriate point.
- At this point, when they search for you, it is very likely that Google will show this information instead of others that are wrong or do not represent us.
Monitor your Reputation with Google Alert
If you are afraid that new sites or pages will appear that talk about you, changing your reputation on the net, there is a Google tool that can be for you.
Google Alert is a handy tool that alerts us if the search engine indexes a new web page with the keyword we have indicated.
creating an Alert with our name is simple:
- go to the service page;
- log in with our Google account;
- on the main page in the text field we insert our name in quotation marks (or our name and profession);
- Click on the item “Show options”. We will be faced with useful parameters to customize the report according to your needs.
- It will be possible to select the frequency with which you want to be updated, to which sources to restrict the search and to which geographical areas; once you have set everything you can click on “Create Notice”.
A “trap” to find out who is looking for you online
Normally it is not possible to know who is doing a given Google search, so neither is who is looking for your name.
However, it is possible to create a page with ours, perhaps with the Curriculum or projects and if our curious visitor tries to read it, you may know his IP address di lei. So you could find out his approximate geographic location of him and, for really serious cases, trace his identity of him by issuing an injunction to the provider through a judge.